Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oh, man is it hot today! I mean, scorching! I don't mind the heat as much as I used to, but at my job where I sit with no air conditioning with long pants, boots, and a long sleeve shirt it really gets to you! It is so important to stay hydrated in this heat so make sure you're drinking a lot of water!

Yesterday my boyfriend and I went out to dinner at Red Lobster. I ended up eating two of their biscuits, ugh. They are so horrible for you, but they are delicious. I haven't had them in a really long time (or white bread/flour at all for that matter), so I shouldn't feel too bad about it. I also got a garden salad with no dressing (I never use dressing, I usually always use fruit to sweeten up my salads). For dinner I got half a serving of wood fire grilled tilapia, steamed broccoli, and wild rice. It was very good! I really like tilapia. It is such a mild fish and it absorbs flavors very well. If you haven't tried it yet, I really suggest you do!

After dinner we went over to the grocery store. I needed several things and I got paid today so I splurged on a couple things I have wanted for a while.

I have been hearing so much about coconut oil, so I spent about $7 to buy the organic kind. It has a ton of health benefits and is one of the best cooking oils for you. I also got raw stevia, some small packs of nuts, greek yogurt for my lunches and also for recipes, a bulk size of rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind!), and some produce.

After I got home, I decided to make a recipe I had seen on Instagram (I get a ton of recipes and ideas from that phone App, I must say I am addicted). This one was banana protein muffins, from user msheard13.
They were pretty simple and ended up tasting very lovely, the ingredients are:
  • 1 whole ripe banana
  • 3/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 plain low fat greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup of oats
  • 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein
  • 12-14 packs of stevia (I used 12)
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
I mixed all of the ingredients in my food processor and blended. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spray your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (I used some of my coconut oil), spread the mixture evenly between two muffin trays (12 count). Bake for about 18-20 minutes and test them by sticking in a tooth pick to be sure they are done in the middle.

For one of these delicious bad boys it is about 60-75 calories. They are great for pre or post workout and taste lovely. I plan on topping some of them with peanut butter and nuts, or some non-fat greek vanilla yogurt and some banana slices. I put some in the freezer so they would keep longer.

I hope you try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment