Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic Sticks

Sometimes I am really craving a good garlic-stick. Well, sometimes it isn't the best time to eat something super greasy from a pizza place. I decided to make a cleanish treat that would satisfy my craving for a pizza shop staple that is low carb and high in protein and made: Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic Sticks!


What you'll need:
One cup of riced cauliflower
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons of almond flour/meal
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning mix + some on top of the cheese
artisan blends parmesan cheese

and
parchment paper
1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1 clove of garlic, chopped up fine

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Rice your cauliflower and combine it in a bowl with the ingredients listed above except for the 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese and clove of garlic. Take a baking sheet and put a piece of parchment paper down, then spread the well mixed ingredients onto it. Spread it out so it is a rectangle or square (or whatever shape :P). Leave a little thickness to it. I placed another sheet of parchment paper on top. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the "crust" over and remove the sheet on top. It should be a bit browned on top. Place it back onto the baking sheet and spread 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese on top, sprinkle some italian seasoning mix on top of the cheese and the well chopped garlic clove. Place back into the oven for about 10-15 more minutes or until it is browned and cheese is melted. Mine made 8 garlic sticks.



For 1/2 of the cauliflower garlic sticks (mine made 8 total), there were about 182 calories, 11.2 grams of fat, 4.2 saturated fat, 4.7 grams carbs, 1.3 grams dietary fiber, 1.2 grams of sugar, and 17.4 grams of protein.

I served mine with organic traditional tomato sauce. This would also work really perfectly as a crust or pizza base. I am going to make it again with spinach, tomato, and garlic. I really hope you guys experiment with this recipe. I really enjoyed it and so did my taste tester, my Aunt.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Meg! These are incredible! I've made cauliflower pizza a handful of times and I love it, but ohhhh, garlic cheesy "bread"? YUMMMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete