Thursday, September 6, 2012

Low-Fat Peanut Almond Butter and Peanut Butter Banana "Sushi"


Hey guys! I hope you had a fantastic day. One more day until Friday! I cannot wait until this weekend. My Mom and I are meeting in Lancaster on Saturday to go to the Amish farmer’s market. I have never been there, but apparently it is awesome. I am so excited to see some of the fresh foods they have.  The 8th will be the end of Josie’s (vmfitness on Instagram) no cheats for two weeks challenge! The last time I cheated was on the 25th when I went to a friend’s wedding. I cannot believe it has been two weeks already! I honestly rarely feel any desire to cheat. The only time I am looking forward to having a cheat any time soon will be later this next week because the local fair will be in town! You just cannot go to the fair without treating yourself to something sweet (even though my belly will probably regret it)! 

Last night I was browsing Laura’s (Sprint2theTable) blog and came across a recipe for her Low-Fat Peanut Almond Butter. I had all of the ingredients to make it, so I knew I had to try it right away. It is a very simple mixture and it turned out great. I love this recipe because it is low carb, calorie, and fat. Here is what her recipe calls for:
  • ¼ cup almond meal/flour
  • 3 tablespoons of peanut flour 
  • ¼ cup of unsweetened almond milk ( I added an extra tablespoon)
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 5 drops vanilla liquid stevia ( I used 10 because I have a sweet tooth!)
I will definitely be making this again! It is great for when you are craving some nut butter, but really don’t have a whole lot of flexibility in your macros. I used some this morning on my Peanut Butter Banana “Sushi” that I had for breakfast. Check out Laura’s blog if you haven’t already. She has marvelous recipes. 
Peanut Butter Banana “Sushi” Roll (paired with 4 egg whites and some mild Italian chicken sausage and ground black pepper for breakfast this morning)

This easy little treat is great for breakfast, pre/post workout, or just for a snack! What you’ll need:  
  • 1 small low carb high fiber whole wheat tortilla from La Tortilla Factory (I swear by these tortillas, 50 calories a piece with only 3 grams active carbs in each, 2 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein) 
  • About 2 tablespoons of the Low-Fat Peanut Almond Butter
  • 1 small banana 
  • Ground cinnamon

You can add things to this if you choose! Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, more fruit, etcetera. 

Spread the peanut almond butter over the tortilla, chop up the banana into pieces and line it up as though you were making a wrap, sprinkle some ground cinnamon over the banana and roll it up! Cut it into 4-5 smaller pieces, or just leave it as a wrap! I would like to try making this and putting it in my George Foreman grill. Warm peanut butter and banana is such a fantastic combination.  
Since changing my lifestyle to eating more clean and healthy, I have become die-hard obsessed with nut butters.  There wasn’t ever a time where I disliked peanut butter or anything, but I would always scoff at my Mom who eats peanut butter by the spoon full. Now, I find myself doing the exact same thing. I have a handful of different nut butters and always like to keep a full stock. I have sunflower seed butter, chocolate hazelnut butter, almond butter, 3 different kinds of Peanut Butter & Co peanut butters (I want to try the other flavors they offer, but they don’t sell them at my grocer :’(), all natural unsalted peanut butter, whipped peanut butter, and I am going to make my own almond butter and cashew butter very soon! I am crazy about nut butters now! It is so funny how much my tastes have changed. I can’t say I am complaining though! I love this lifestyle. What is your favorite kind of nut butter?

After work today I hit the gym for a triceps and shoulder workout. Yesterday I hit legs hard and I burned 500+ calories. I love leg day! I hope I get a good burn in today too with this workout: 


After the gym I had to pick up the boyfriend from work and get Keldeo for my Pokemon game (he works at GameStop, we are a bunch of nerds) and we went to the grocery store. We needed to stock up on a bunch of things and I wanted to pick up a couple new things as well. He is trying to watch what he eats and is getting more interested in going to the gym and living a healthier lifestyle. He isn’t as strict as me with his food intake and working out, but it’s awesome that since he has seen me progress and change, it seems to have motivated him as well. He even got his own gym membership so he didn’t have to come as a guest with me constantly. It just shows that if people see you doing something good for yourself, it may motivate others to do so as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment